Kayak Fishing World Cup
The Ocean Kayak “Kayak Fishing World Cup” (KFWC), will run alongside the Century Batteries Beach and Boat.
This invitation to the event is open to any Kayak anglers Worldwide and any entrant may fish for their country of birth should they wish to.
NOTE: To enter the KFWC you must select the 'kayak' category in your entry. If you do not wish to be part of the KFWC but would still like to fish the competition from your kayak, then you must select the 'beach & boat' category.
All KFWC entrants will be eligible for the overall prize packages on the final night, they will also be eligible for Mystery Weight prizes and all Century Batteries Beach and Boat ticket draws (spot prizes etc).
During the two days of competition the Ocean Kayak “Kayak Fishing World Cup” will be run under a points system which has been used overseas extensively and seems to bring out the very best in competitors, and it’s a fair representation of a Kayak anglers fishing skills.
The Points system for the event
- Each kayak fisher competing can weigh a maximum of 3 fish from each species per day. (Excludes King Fish which has a limit of ONLY ONE per day)
- Each kayak fisher can weigh the heaviest fish from the following 4 species: SNAPPER, KAHAWAI,TREVALLY or JOHN DORY and gain 4 points per Kg
- The other two fish from each species will get 2 points per Kg awarded
- Just one Kingfish per day can be weighed and receive 2 points per Kg
- The highest points overall for the two days wins the World Cup
- Weigh master and the competition organiser's decisions are final and binding.
- In the event that a day’s fishing is cancelled for any reason; points for the single day will come into play.
World Cup Prize
KAYAK FISHING WORLD CUP RULES
- All entrants MUST wear on their person at all times their own Beach & Boat fishing tag (ticket) along with their corresponding identifying tag attached to their kayak. Failure to have your tag on could result in disqualification from the competition.
- The contest is restricted to manually paddled self propelled Kayaks. It does include hobie's and/or pedal powered kayaks. Any other form of propulsion or watercraft is prohibited in this section.
- Ferrying of Kayaks by any other vessel is prohibited.
- Any fish submitted for weigh-in are to have been caught from and transported back to shore by the same person who caught them in their Kayak.
- Contestants must be 16 years or older on the first day of competition.
- Only hand lines or rods may be used to catch fish submitted at the weigh-in.
- Each rod or hand line can use no more than two hooks.
- There are NO Team entries allowed in this event it is on an individual basis only.
- Solo fishing is discouraged. Contestants are advised to invent the “buddy system”, staying with another angler or group. The organizers will be pleased to assist in arranging partners if required.
- Approved PFD/Life Jacket (to be worn at all times on the water) by everyone using a Kayak
- Communication (cell phone/VHF radio) at least one per fishing person/group.
- Distress Whistle (attached to PFD)
- Tow Line / Anchor Rope
- Hand Bailer Pump (not required for sit-on top Kayaks).
- Appropriate lighting if on the water outside of daylight.
- Appropriate clothing for the conditions
All other rules apply as per The Century Batteries Beach and Boat fishing competition available for viewing on this website.
Working on the development of the Kayak World Cup event is- Karl Pereira, who is also point of liaison with the Northland Kayak Fishing Club, the official host club for the event (www.northlandyakfishers.org.nz) The club will be conducting “fishing area” familiarisation trips for anyone competing, over the two weekends leading up to the event. This will give both overseas and NZ entrants the chance to have a pre competition fish and obtain some good local knowledge. A social get together is also planned after the final Sundays fish (further details to be announced closer to the date)
Note from Karl:- “ Ladies and Gents, if you need any assistance relevant to either your travel to NZ, travel to/ stay in Northland, fishing locations, kit/tackle or just general questions about the kayak section in the comp, then please just send me an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Some overseas kayak fishing contestants have already been “placed” for the event and will be provided with suitable fishing kayaks for the duration of their stay. There is also a limited number of fishing kayaks available to those that are competing in the event from overseas, and are not able to source one locally upon arrival. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PURCHASE BOTH YOUR TICKET (EARLY) AND REQUEST A KAYAK AS THIS IS ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS.